The International Conference on Urban Multilingualism and Education (UME) will take place in Ghent, Belgium on 7-8 March 2013. The 5 central themes are:
1. Codeswitching, translanguaging and multilingual resources in classrooms
2. Language assessment in a multilingual environment
3. Education and language learning in a globalized world
4. L1-Ln acquisition in context
5. Multilingual pedagogies and mediation strategies
Keynote speakers: Prof. O. Garcia (City University of New York), Prof. S. Slembrouck (Ghent University), Prof. P. Van Avermaet (Ghent University), Dr. K. Van Gorp (KU Leuven), Prof. J. Cummins (University of Toronto).
Organisers: Pedagogic Advice Unit & the Education Department (city of Ghent), Centre for Diversity and Learning (UGhent), Linguistic Department (UGhent), Centre for Language and Education (KULeuven), Pedagogic Advice Unit of the Ghent Diocese.
Call for papers for the specific strands:
- Submission deadline: 30 September 2012
- Acceptance deadline: 1 December 2012
Conference website: http://www.smo-ume.org
Contact: Ilona Truyts, Ilona.Truyts@UGent.be