Developing a whole-school approach to valuing and supporting linguistic and cultural diversity
This module aims to support the development of whole school language policies, strategies and practices to promote positive attitudes to linguistic and cultural diversity, to value and support multilingualism and plurilingualism and to facilitate the inclusion of learners from migrant backgrounds.
This will include the following objectives:
- to create an inclusive school environment in which all languages, including all home languages, are valued as part of a learner’s education;
- to ensure that all members of the school’s community have opportunities to develop awareness of the value of multilingualism for all and integrate these opportunities into their practices;
- to engage with the wider community, including parents and community groups, businesses and other key partners, in the task of promoting multilingualism.
Workshops can be organised for the following participants:
- School administrators/leaders
- All teachers
- School advisers
- Parent groups
- Community groups, business partners etc
As the purpose of this module is to encourage collaboration between all of the above, we would recommend that combinations of these groups attend the workshops.
The module will draw on ECML resources including the following:
- Plurcur - Plurilingual whole school curricula: case studies; project plans from pilot schools
- Ensemble - Whole-school Language Profiles and Policies: case studies, project tasks
- The European Language Portfolio - A guide to the planning, implementation and evaluation of whole- school projects
- Community - Collaborative community approach to migrant education): Virtual Open Course, with case studies