How to get involved?
Individuals with a special interest and relevant professional background in this topic are invited to make contact with the ECML National Nominating Authority in their country so that they can be considered for participation in our project workshop in 2017.
Project workshop in 2017
Focus of the workshop
- Training and professional development
- Development of concepts and materials
Profile of participants
Teacher of a
national or regional signed language on a university or tertiary level
programme that leads to the graduation of students (L2 learners) with a minimum
of B1/B2 skills in signed languages (typically interpreter training
programmes). Applications from Deaf
academics who meet this profile are particularly welcome.
Experience and competences required:
- Have 3-5 years of experience in the teaching and assessment of a signed language;
- Have C1 receptive competence in English or International Sign (the working languages of this project) and B1/B2 productive competence in either of these languages. Be comfortable working in environments that reflect Deaf cultural norms;
- Knowledge of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR);
- Experience in material developing;
- Didactic and educational expertise.
Expected involvement/tasks before, during and after the event:
Before: Familiarise yourself with the Common European Framework of Reference of Languages (CEFR) documentation (Council of Europe 2001) and with documents provided in English/International Sign relating to the CEFR and signed languages in advance of workshop.
During: Participate in and contribute actively to the workshop.
After: Disseminate the knowledge acquired in the workshop and its results in your professional networks.
Envisaged outputs of the workshop for the participants:
- Improved didactics
- Innovative ways to offer materials and exercises
- Work with the European language portfolio (ELP)
- Feedback enhancement
Envisaged outcomes of the workshop for the participants:
- Knowledge of CEFR-based development of instructional materials
- Use of various teaching & learning strategies
- Use of ELP in Sign Language teaching and learning