While the CEFR inspires and facilitates reform of curricula and pedagogy as well as of assessment tools and modalities, its implementation may still be rather patchy and/or left to local initiatives. Transfer of knowledge and expertise needs to be enhanced. The project aims to maximize the CEFR’s potential for language education and to increase its capacity to support the knowledge building process.
The development of a flexible and modular tool in the form of a quality assurance matrix will greatly facilitate uses of the CEFR at the different levels.
The quality assurance matrix will:
- raise awareness of processes and practices through self-assessment and reflection;
- facilitate professional development for language teachers through the use of a quality assurance approach in curricular and pedagogical practices;
- help teachers develop and share ideas for innovation and change in their context;
- increase learner motivation to improve their ability to use language effectively in relation to their real-life needs, as suggested by the CEFR.
Innovative aspects of the project
As the first project comparing CEFR implementation and employing a quality assurance approach, the project will help raise awareness among stakeholders about the need to share expertise and to follow quality assurance approaches in the implementation of the CEFR. It will provide stakeholders with the know-how and framework to conduct quality assurance-informed feasibility studies in their contexts and to effectively implement the CEFR. The template will serve for:
- self-assessment as an awareness-raising tool before or during CEFR implementation,
- self- or external evaluation after the implementation.
The quality assurance template will facilitate professional development for language teachers as it will raise awareness of the importance and role of a quality assurance approach in curricular and pedagogical innovation aiming to improve teaching and learning practices. This user-friendly template will help teachers understand how to innovate in their context, improve learner motivation and proficiency, and achieve the aims of the CEFR.