Gazette 30 - February/March 2016
Professional network forum of the ECML: forthcoming events
Other Council of Europe developments
Recent EU and OECD publications
ECML launches its new programme 2016-2019 "Languages at the heart of learning"
Since the beginning of January it has been all-systems-go at the ECML as the new programme – "Languages at the heart of learning" – goes live. This ambitious and innovative programme has two main axes: development and mediation. The development strand focuses on creating new solutions to the challenges in language education identified by our member states, through projects and think tanks; eight project teams have held their first meeting in Graz to plan the detail of how they will address such priority areas as language teacher competences, professional learning communities or school environments where all languages flourish. Broad consultations on teacher education for early language learning and the need for whole-school cooperation in the language of schooling are being prepared – consultations whose findings will feed into think tanks planned for the second half of the year.
Through the mediation strand, member states can adapt and implement existing ECML resources, access ECML expertise through training and consultancy and national support events, celebrate the European Day of Languages and take part in conferences, webinars and colloquia open to a wider public. Demand for the ten areas of Training and consultancy has reached a record high, with 25 requests for support in 2016 alone and 5 workshops of the 16 agreed already delivered within the ECML-EU Cooperation agreement, covering two focus areas: Relating language curricula, tests and examinations to the CEFR and Supporting multilingual classrooms.
If you would like to find out more about the new ECML programme and how to get involved, please visit our website.
ECML calendar of activities 2016
Overview of the forthcoming and past events in 2016
Language for work – Tools for professional development
The factor of language in guidance for employment
First regional event of the new project, Language for Work – Tools for professional development
project team member
Towards a Common European Framework of Reference for Language Teachers
Digital literacy for the teaching/learning of languages
In the next edition of the European Language Gazette the ECML will start the launch of the publication results from the Learning through languages programme (2012-2015).
Using the European portfolio for student teachers of languages: publication now available in Arabic
The ECML wishes to express its warmest thanks to Dr. Haggag Mohamed (South Valley University, College of Education, Hurghada, Egypt) for his translation into Arabic.
Pluralistic approaches to languages and cultures
The publication Les approches plurielles dans l'éducation aux langues: l'intercompréhension, en présence et en ligne (available in French only), coordinated by Doina Spiță, M. Lupu, D. Nica and I. Nica, includes articles relating to two ECML projects:
European Day of Languages’ developments
- The picture gallery from the European Day of Languages (EDL) 2015 is now online. Enjoy the images of more than 100 events from all over the world!
- The event "Let's celebrate Europe's Linguistic Diversity!" organised by Katarina Mikjel from the Europe House Dubrovnik, Croatia, was voted the most innovative event of the 2015 European Day of Languages with more than 18 000 votes. Congratulations to the winners!
- Most innovative event competition 2016: for this year the ECML will be awarding a prize to one winner in each country (providing that more than 15 events are submitted in that country).
- If you already know details about an event for this year’s EDL you can already promote it in the event calendar for 2016.
France: new language strategy – learning the language of the host country for professionnal purposes – recent publications
Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research: modern language strategy
The new academic map and curricula for modern languages will come into force in September 2016. The new language policy focuses in particular on training and providing resources for teachers. It also aims to boost international mobility among young people through the development of school partnerships.
Learning the language of the host country for professionnal purposes: presentations online
On 1-2 February 2016, the International Centre for Pedagogical Studies (CIEP, Sèvres, France) organised a seminar on learning the language of the host country for professionnal purposes ("Apprentissage de la langue du pays d’accueil à des fins professionnelles: un enjeu pour l'intégration"). The first day was devoted to the results of the "Language for Work" project of the ECML, the second day focused on "Learning French and vocational integration". All presentations are now available online (in French only).
Courriel européen des langues no. 35, January 2016 – newsletter (in French only) edited by CIEP, the National Contact Point for the ECML in France: in this issue, Sarah Breslin, Executive Director of the ECML, presents the Centre's new programme "Languages at the heart of learning" (2016-2019). You will also find a number of articles on the latest developments at the ECML and in other European institutions, as well as a selection of recommended resources and events.
The General Delegation for the French language and the languages of France edited two publications on language practices in companies located in France (materials available in French only):
German language in education in Denmark
The Mercator European Research Centre on Multilingualism and Language Learning has launched a new publication within the Regional dossiers series – The German language in education in Denmark. The dossier was written by Anke Tästensen, principle at the Deutsche Schule Osterhoist in Denmark. A German speaking minority of approximately 15 000 people lives in the southern part of Denmark (North Schleswig). The German language is growing in influence in the region as well as in the rest of Denmark due to its importance for the job market.
Annual report of the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI), University of Ottawa
Annual report 2014/2015 of OLBI, the National Contact Point for the ECML in Canada : English – French
See information about OLBI's partnership with the ECML on p. 10, 16, 19, 29 and 30.
New official ECML contacts in Denmark, Estonia, Iceland and Norway
- Denmark: Ms Ana Kanareva-Dimitrovska has taken up her functions as the new National Nominating Authority and National Contact Point.
Follow the Contact Point on its Facebook page!
- Estonia: Ms Pille Põiklik has taken up her functions as the Governing Board member.
- Iceland: Ms Eva Björnsdóttir has taken up her functions as the new National Contact Point.
- Norway: Ms Renate Evjenth has taken up her functions as the National Contact Point. Ms Sigrun Aamodt has joined the Governing Board as an Observer. Ms Berit Hope Blå is the new contact person for European Language Portfolio issues.
The ECML is delighted to welcome the new members and wishes to express its warmest thanks to Mr. Frits Overgaard Sørensen (Denmark), Ms Suliko Liiv (Estonia), Ms Sigrún Ólafsdóttir (Iceland) and Mr Gerard Doetjes (Norway) for their ongoing and valuable commitment during many years.
Professional network forum of the ECML: forthcoming events
The Professional Network Forum is formed of international associations and institutions that share common values and have overlapping expertise in the field of language education and assessment. Under the auspices of the ECML, the members of the Forum have agreed to share their know-how and have committed themselves to work together on areas of common interest in the service of language education.
- ALTE 48th Meeting and Conference "‘Language assessment: purpose and usefulness" (20-22 April 2016, Stockholm, Sweden)
- EAQUALS 25th Anniversary Conference (21-23 April 2016, Lisbon, Portugal)
- CCERBAL Conference 2016 "Bilingual from birth: process, pedagogy and policy" (28-29 April 2016, Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute / OLBI, University of Ottawa)
- 13th EALTA 2016 Conference "Assessment of what....? - Revisiting the issue of construct(s)" (5-8 May 2016, Valencia, Spain)
- XXII AICLU Seminar Networking "Language Centres and the challenge of creating networks"(12-14 May 2016, Siena, Italy) (with the involvement of CercleS Language Centres)
- FIPLV Nordic-Baltic Region (NBR) Conference 2016 "The language teacher and teaching at crossroads" (9-11 June 2016, Tallinn, Estonia)
- 10th International Conference of the International Association of Multilingualism "Third language acquisition and multilingualism" (1-3 September 2016, Vienna, Austria)
- CercleS Conference "Teaching foreign language and addressing the specific needs of higher education students" (15-17 September 2016, University of Wrocław, Poland)
- 14th Annual EFNIL Conference "Stereotypes and linguistic prejudices in Europe" (20-21 September 2016, Warsaw, Poland) hosted by the Council for the Polish Language
- XIV CercleS International Conference (22-24 September 2016, University Language Centre, University of Calabria, Italy)
- 2016 ACTFL Convention and World Languages Expo 2016 (18-20 November 2016 [Pre-Convention Workshops on 17 November], Boston, Massachusetts, USA)
- 30th Anniversary Conference of the European Parents’ Association "Representing parents in Europe: the first 30 years" (27-28 November 2016, Luxembourg)
- AILA 2017: 8th World Congress of Applied Linguistic "Innovation and epistemological challenges in applied linguistics" (23-28 July 2017, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Other Council of Europe developments
- Implementation of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities: Latest developments in Finland, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Kosovo, Romania, "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" and the United Kingdom –
- Council of Europe Pestalozzi programme for the professional development of teachers and education actors: calendar of activities 2016 – registration open from now on.
- 25th Session of the Council of Europe Standing Conference of Ministers of Education: "Education for Democracy - The role of education for the development of competences for democratic culture" (11-12 April 2016, Brussels, Belgium)
- Strengthening education for democracy
On 11-12 February 2016, the Council of Europe Network of Co-ordinators for Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education discussed: 1) strengthening the effectiveness of education policies for the promotion of human rights, democracy and the rule of law; 2) policy implications for the member states with respect to education for democratic citizenship and human rights for successful integration of migrants and refugees in Europe; and 3) the right to education and anti-discrimination as pre-conditions for education for democratic citizenship and human rights.
More information on the Council of Europe website
- Ensuring access to education for all children / Adequate knowledge of the language of schooling: the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) advocates supporting programmes that help children from minority and migrant communities to acquire adequate knowledge of the language of schooling.
PACE Resolution 29 January 2016 (provisional version) "Access to school and education for all children"
- Refugees and migrants can help build inclusive European societies: migrants bring new knowledge, ideas and experience. And they create jobs. OECD studies show that the contribution to employment creation by immigrants increased steadily over the first decade of this century and that foreign-born entrepreneurs can help boost urban and rural areas at risk of economic decline.
Read the full article written by Snežana Samardžić-Marković, Director General for Democracy, Council of Europe, New Europe, 31 January 2016
Recent EU and OECD publications
Donlevy Vicki, Meierkord Anja, Rajania Aaron (2015), Study on the diversity within the teaching profession with particular focus on migrant and/or minority background, Brussels: European Commission.
OECD (2016), Low-performing students - Why they fall behind and how to help them succeed, PISA, Paris: OECD Publishing.
Council of Europe
Council of Europe news
Directorate of Democratic Citizenship and Participation
European Day of Languages
European Centre for Modern Languages (ECML)
Language Policy Unit
European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages
Stay connected with the ECML
News on the ECML portal
ECML on Facebook
ECML on Twitter
ECML activities 2016
All issues of the European Language Gazette
Not interested anymore? Click here to unsubscribe.
European Centre for Modern Languages of the Council of Europe
Promoting excellence in language education
Centre européen pour les langues vivantes du Conseil de l´Europe
Pour l’excellence dans l’éducation aux langues
A - 8020 Graz, Nikolaiplatz 4
T +43 316 323554-20
F +43 316 323554-4
Follow us on Facebook Twitter