Local organisation: Brynhildur Anna Ragnarsdóttir
ECML experts: Angela Gallagher-Brett (United Kingdom) and Christine Lechner (Austria)
Participants: 10 teachers of English, German, Danish, Spanish, and Icelandic as FL in upper secondary schools; the president of STÍL
The face to face Training and Consultancy event was organised by STÍL – the Association of Language Teachers in Iceland and the Institute of Continuing Education within the University of Iceland on 11-12 August.
During the event the “Action Research Communities for languages” team presented concepts of action research and the ARC project as well as Intercultural Learning approaches in the language classroom.
The participants were highly engaged during the event and contributed in a very positive way throughout.
Five action research projects were planned during the workshop to be carried out during the autumn. Participants will focus on the following themes:
- Increasing confidence & competence in speaking LOTEs – German & Spanish;
- Reading full literary texts: strategies to motivate learners to read texts rather than synopses;
- Focus on spoken Danish in action;
- Reducing the use of L1 in the language classroom/ Increasing the use of the L2;
- Individual teaching in Mathematics and Icelandic – focus on content related language acquisition.
An online event to share development of the projects will take place at the beginning of November and it is hoped that these will subsequently be published on the ARC website.
Brynhildur Anna Ragnarsdóttir (firstname.lastname@example.org)