How to get involved?
Individuals with a special interest and professional background in the topic of this particular project are invited to take up contact with the ECML National Nominating Authority in their country so that they can be considered for participation in the corresponding project workshop.
Project workshop in 2018
- Further development of the Roadmap tool;
- Gathering and reflecting upon promising practices from different national contexts regarding a whole-school approach to language(s) of schooling;
- Preparing the implementation of the Roadmap in the participating countries.
Expected outputs of the workshop (for the participant)
- Contribution to the Roadmap’s development before its finalisation;
- An action plan for the implementation of the Roadmap in the participating countries;
- A collection of concrete examples of promising practices to contribute to the Roadmap.
Expected outcomes of the workshop (for the participant)
- Deepened understanding of and active engagement with the various dimensions of a whole-school approach to language(s) of schooling;
- Drawing on a European network of experts and practitioners and seek to disseminate more widely such an approach.
Profile of participants
- Head teachers, teachers, non-educational staff members (primary or secondary) interested in developing a whole-school approach for the languages of schooling;
- Teacher educators, decision makers, representatives from local education authorities who would be willing to support such an initiative.
Experience, competences required
Professional experience working in a school/schools with students from diverse linguistic and/or socio-economic backgrounds.
- Understanding and/or experience of the importance of school leadership and management in the development of linguistic aware and inclusive school culture;
- Awareness of the importance of subject teachers’ role in supporting the development of language skills in the language(s) of schooling;
- Interest in developing a whole-school approach to improve the learning outcomes of students from diverse linguistic and/or socio-economic backgrounds.
Expected involvement/ tasks before, during and after the event
- Become familiar with the draft Roadmap provided by the project team;
- Reflect upon local policies/strategies/initiatives in relation to supporting the languages of schooling;
- Prepare and submit a short presentation of promising practice(s) related to a whole-school approach (a form will be provided by the project team prior to the workshop).
- Active participation in discussions and group work;
- Discussing the examples of promising practices and linking them to the Roadmap;
- Working on a post-workshop action plan.
- Disseminating the Roadmap;
- Setting up a local network of piloting schools;
- Assisting the piloting schools implementing the Roadmap;
- Giving feedback and liaising with the project team.