Some of the burning issues dealt with in this thematic area are:
- What aptitudes do language teachers need to equip their students with key skills for learning any language?
- How can schools encourage positive attitudes to language learning through holistic approaches?
- What tools can assist in ensuring a smooth transition between educational levels or promote common approaches across different languages?
- What role can implementation of the European Language Portfolio play in this process?
- How can Europeans be motivated to continue language learning in their careers after their formal education at school or university?
The European Language Portfolio, an important tool for promoting continuity in language learning, is the focus of two projects in this area.