As more migrants and refugees from outside Europe arrive in member states, the provision of language courses and citizenship courses to support the integration in the host societies, and access to work, education and essential services becomes a burning priority. A crucial aspect of such courses is the quality and effectiveness of their planning, delivery and assessment, and especially of the learning opportunities they provide. Specialised quality assurance and quality development are thus essential.
The Council of Europe’s Self-Assessment Handbook for Providers of Courses for Adult Migrants can be used as a tool to aid the process of guided reflection and, where relevant, the planning of improvements.
- Managers of institutions providing language and citizenship courses for migrants and/or directors of such courses;
- Policy and decision makers.
Results and benefits
- Higher quality course provision that meets the needs of this vulnerable group while fulfilling national objectives;
- Improved opportunities for adult migrants to improve their proficiency in the language of the host community and their knowledge of its values and principles;
- An enhanced awareness among course providers of the key features of such courses and indicators of quality and cost effectiveness.