The European Language Gazette, the ECML's e-newsletter, provides up-to-date news about the ECML (events, projects, resources) and other relevant sectors of the Council of Europe, as well as of our partners. It focuses on national developments in the field of language education in the member states and beyond.
Enjoy the latest issue (no. 55, April - May 2021): English - French
Table of contents
- "The future of language education – learning lessons from the pandemic": Join our webinar on 27 April 2021, 16.00-17.15 CET!
Just published! New ECML resources
- “A roadmap for schools to support the language(s) of schooling”: a resource website for all those involved in school development and in creating language-aware schools
- “Covid-19 and language education: Making home schooling motivating and fun”: watch the webinar
- ECML 25th Anniversary Declaration “Quality language education for a democratic, socially cohesive and peaceful Europe: nine ECML cornerstones”: published in German – now available in 8 languages
- Inventory of ICT tools and OERs: discover the latest resources!
ECML programme developments 2020-2023 – “Inspiring innovation in language education: changing contexts, evolving competences”
- The place of home languages at school: participate in a European survey!
- The European Centre for Modern Languages and Moscow State Linguistic University (MSLU) renew cooperation agreement
- Tasks to develop Digital Citizenship and to enable learners to act as language and digital technology users
- “CEFR Companion Volume implementation toolbox” (VITbox): prototypes of online training modules already developed
Publication quoting the work of the ECML
- When language education meets digital citizenship
Training and consultancy activities
- “Supporting Multilingual Classrooms”: a series of 9 national workshops starting in June
- “Relating language curricula, tests and examinations to the Common European Framework of Reference” (RELANG): national workshops to take place in 11 countries in 2021
- “Action research for language teachers” in Lithuania: a powerful tool for learners, teachers and school development
- Online workshop in Poland on “Language of schooling in subject learning”: a practical support for teachers in planning lessons and designing teaching materials
- “CLIL and beyond pluriliteracies for deeper learning” in the Slovak Republic: how teachers can create learning pathways for their students
- Austrian Centre for Language Competence: latest news, events, resources
- France: a law in favour of regional languages
- Switzerland: official recognition of the profession of sign language teacher
Professional Network Forum of the ECML
- Forthcoming eventInternational Association of Multilingualism: current trends in multilingualism research
- CercleS - De Gruyter webinar celebrates special LLHE issue
- EFNIL webinar (24-25 March 2021): presentations available online
Council of Europe developments
- Literacy And Second Language for the Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants: take part in the survey until 12 May
- Council of Europe webinar: “Developing an action-oriented pathway in the classroom”
- International Roma Day: Remembering history to ensure a brighter future – Statement by Council of Europe Secretary General
- European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages: latest developments in the Slovak Republic, Spain and the United Kingdom
- “Better education for better democracies”
- Intercultural Cities (ICC): ready to celebrate the World Day for cultural diversity for dialogue and development?
- “Together in the distance: Building new solidarities in a changing world”: participate in the photo contest until 31 May 2021!
- Recent Council of Europe resources
News from other organisations
- Eurydice: national education developments in Norway and Spain+
- School Education Gateway: Teacher Academy webinars
- The new EPALE website has been launched!
- OECD: recent publications
- Mercator – European Research Centre on Multilingualism and Language Learning
- Call for proposals for the journal 'Language Learning' until 5 September 2021
- TIRF – 2021 doctoral dissertation grants competition