*in cooperation with the European Commission
Teacher education for linguistic diversity colloquium: live webcast on 13-14 December
The colloquium on "Teacher education for linguistic diversity: the contribution of the ECML" is organised by the European Centre for Modern Languages of the Council of Europe in cooperation with the European Commission.
With the increasingly diverse linguistic and cultural composition of classrooms around Europe, this topic has become a central issue in language education and has been addressed in several ECML projects and is given current priority by the European Commission. The colloquium will provide an opportunity to reflect on and evaluate the contributions made by the plethora of didactic research and innovative practices which have arisen over the past fifteen years.
At the core of this colloquium will be the contribution made by the Framework of References for Pluralistic Approaches (FREPA) and its impact on different aspects of language education throughout Europe.
Due to the high level of demand to participate in the event, the ECML has decided to stream the event live, starting from 9:30 am on 13 December and concluding at 13:00 on 14 December. The event will be in English and French and will be streamed in the original language of the speaker only. During the colloquium, the following issues will be addressed:
- supporting multilingual classroom and language-sensitive teaching
- teaching tools for supporting diversity in education
- the role of plurilingualism in new curricula
- plurilingual curricula scenarios at different educational stages
- reference frameworks for pluralistic approaches in teacher education
- the perspective of the European Union
- examples of responses to linguistic diversity is specific member states
The colloquium will be of particular interest to those who are engaged in pluralistic education, whether as teachers, teacher educators or curriculum designers, and aims to support their efforts in facilitating change in this area.